Q4 2021 Corn Production in BARMM
Corn production in BARMM decreased by 0.42 percent in Q4 2021
Most of the corn produced in BARMM in Q4 2021 is White Corn
About 66.84 percent of the total corn production in BARMM in Q4 2021 was white corn, while the remaining 33.16 percent was yellow corn. Production of white corn massively increased by 79.22 percent between the fourth quarters of 2020 and 2021. On the other hand, the yellow corn vastly shrunk its production by 47.47 percent between Q4 2020 and Q4 2021.
Almost three-fourths or 70.67 percent of yellow corn production in BARMM was produced in Maguindanao, while Lanao del Sur contributed 29.33 percent on Q4 2021. There were no contribution for the provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi for the yellow corn production during the fourth quarter of 2020 and 2021.
Maguindanao had a massive increased of white corn production of Q4 2021 with a 300.35 percent growth. Sulu and Lanao del Sur provinces had an increased too of 36.12 percent and 6.83 percent, respectively on Q4 2021. The province of Basilan was the only one who decreased its production by 3.02 percent. No change of production for the province of Tawi-tawi.
Palay and Corn Production Survey
Palay Production Survey and Corn Production Survey (PPS and CPS) are some of the major agricultural surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). These generate estimates and forecasts on palay and corn production, area and yield and other productionrelated data that serve as inputs for policy making and programs on palay/rice.
Definition of Terms:
Palay Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is palay area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Palay Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to palay production, i.e., zero palay production, no standing palay crop and planting intention.
Corn Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is corn area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Corn Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to corn production, i.e., zero corn production, no standing corn crop and planting intention.
Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. For palay and corn, harvest area refers to the actual area harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Estimates and forecasts of production and harvest area of palay and corn are generated from the Quarterly Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year that is January, April, July and October. The following are the data taken from these surveys: