Q3 2021 Poultry and Eggs Production and Inventory in BARMM

May 31, 2022Special Release Ref No.: SR-BARMM-2022-022

Poultry and Eggs production in BARMM increased by 3.58 percent in Q3 2021

The total production of poultry and eggs in BARMM increased by 3.58 percent in the third quarter of 2021, that is from 2,397.37 metric tons (MT) in the third of 2020 to 2,483.17 in the third quarter of 2021. This was brought by the increase in the production of Chicken and Duck which increased by 18.64 percent and 26.80 percent, respectively.

Figure 1. Volume of Poultry and Eggs Production in BARMM, by Poultry Product: Q3 2020 – Q3 2021 (in metric tons)
 
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)

Majority of BARMM’s poultry production in Q3 2021 was composed of Chicken

The average production of poultry in BARMM increased by 20.10 percent. About 81.19 percent of the total poultry production in BARMM in the third quarter of 2021 was contributed by Chicken, while the remaining 18.81 percent was composed of Duck.

Figure 2. Percent Distribution of Poultry Production in BARMM, by Poultry Product: Q3 2021
 
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)

Eggs production in BARMM decreased by 12.39 percent in Q3 2021

Eggs production in BARMM decreased by 12.39 percent in the third quarter of 2021.There were more Chicken Eggs produced in BARMM than Duck Eggs during this period with corresponding percentage shares of 79.33 percent and 20.67 percent.

Figure 3. Percent Distribution of Egg Production in BARMM, by Poultry Product: Q3 2021
 
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)

Chicken inventory in BARMM decreased by 2.53 percent as of 01 October 2021

Chicken inventory decreased by 2.53 percent, that was from 1,792,825 chickens’ way back 01 October 2020 to 1,747,417 chickens as of the same period in 2021. This was brought by the massive decrease in provinces of Basilan and TawiTawi. There’s a drop of 48.49 percent and 1.15 percent, respectively

On the other hand, Chicken inventory in the remaining province increased. Lanao del Sur, Sulu and Maguindanao had a growth in Chicken inventory by 3.94 percent, 6.54 percent, and 22.19 percent, respectively.

About 44.06 percent of the total Chicken inventory in BARMM during this period was in Lanao del Sur, while the 27.61 percent was in Sulu. The remaining 11.23 percent was from Maguindanao. Basilan and Tawi-Tawi got 8.69 percent, and 8.40 percent, respectively.

Figure 4. Inventory of Chicken in BARMM: 01 October 2020 – 01 October 2021
 
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)

 

Figure 5. Percent Distribution of Chicken Inventory in BARMM: as of 01 October 2021
 
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)

TECHNICAL NOTES

This statistical report covers four (4) poultry (chicken, chicken egg, duck and duck egg) commodities.

The data on these commodities include: volume of production (in metric tons) and inventory of animals (in bird)

The data on inventory and volume of production are taken from the regular surveys conducted by PSA. The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS). It consists of 15,032 sample households in 1,079 sample barangays nationwide for Chicken and Duck.

Concepts and Definitions

Backyard Farm – any farm or household, whether farming or non-farming, tending at least one head of animal and does not qualify as a commercial farm.

Inventory – the actual number of domesticated animals present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

  • Beginning inventory is the number of live animals present in the farm at the beginning of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the beginning inventory is as of January 1, 2016; for January to March the beginning inventory is as of January 1.
  • Ending inventory is the number of live animals/remaining stocks present in the farm at the end of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the ending inventory is as of October 1, 2016; for January to March, the remaining inventory is as of October 1.

Volume of Production –the quantity of locally-raised animals disposed for slaughter which includes animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in number of heads, or in metric ton, liveweight equivalent.

 

 

(Sgd) ENGR. AKAN G. TULA
OIC-Regional Director
PSA RSSO-BARMM