Q1 2021 Palay Production in BARMM
Palay production in BARMM increased by 57.38 percent in Q1 2020
The total palay production in BARMM increased by 57.38 percent in the first quarter of 2021, that is from metric tons 196,987.12 (MT) in Q1 2020 to 310,012.25 MT in Q1 2021. More than half or 87.67 percent of palay in the region during this period was produced in Maguindanao, while 12.23 percent was produced in Lanao del Sur (Figure 1). The remaining less than one percent was produced by Sulu, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi.
Palay production in BARMM increases during this period except for the province of Lanao del Sur. Production in the said province reported a decline of 0.07 percent (Figure 2)
Most of the palay produced in BARMM in Q1 2021 is Rainfed Palay
About 79.45 percent of the total palay production in BARMM in Q1 2021 was rainfed palay, while the remaining 20.55 percent was irrigated palay (Figure 3). Production of irrigated palay increased by 50.64 percent; while rainfed palay also increased by 59.22 percent between Q1 2020 and Q1 2021.
More than half or 83.63 percent of irrigated palay in BARMM was produced in Maguindanao, while Lanao del Sur contributed 15.94 percent (Figure 4). Production in all producing provinces increased during this period. There was no recorded production in Sulu and Tawi-Tawi in both periods (Figure 5).
Maguindanao produced 88.71 percent of the total rainfed palay in the region. This was followed by Lanao del Sur with 11.27 percent, and Basilan with 0.02 percent. There was no production recorded in Sulu and Tawi-Tawi in both periods.
Palay and Corn Production Survey
Palay Production Survey and Corn Production Survey (PPS and CPS) are some of the major agricultural surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). These generate estimates and forecasts on palay and corn production, area and yield and other productionrelated data that serve as inputs for policy making and programs on palay/rice.
Definition of Terms:
Palay Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is palay area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Palay Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to palay production, i.e., zero palay production, no standing palay crop and planting intention.
Corn Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is corn area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Corn Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to corn production, i.e., zero corn production, no standing corn crop and planting intention.
Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. For palay and corn, harvest area refers to the actual area harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Estimates and forecasts of production and harvest area of palay and corn are generated from the Quarterly Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year that is January, April, July and October. The following are the data taken from these surveys:
(Sgd) ENGR. NASER S. USMAN, MBA