Q1 2021 Corn Area Harvested in BARMM

June 29, 2021Special Release Ref No.: SR-BARMM-21-021

Area harvested for corn in BARMM decreased by 5.88 percent in Q1 2021

The total area harvested for corn in BARMM decreased by 5.88 percent in the first quarter of 2021, from 101,584.00 hectares (ha) in Q1 2020 to 95,613.30 ha in Q1 2021. More than half or 63.66 percent of corn area harvested in the region during this period was in, Maguindanao while 35.75 percent was in Lanao del Sur (Figure 1). Less than one percent remaining area was in Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi.
Figure 1. Percent Distribution of Corn Area Harvested in BARMM, by Province: Q1 2021
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Area harvested in all provinces, except for Maguindanao, posted a positive growth rate between the first quarters of 2020 and 2021 (Figure 2). Production in the said province reported an increase of 9.01 percent (Figure 2).

Figure 2. Corn Area Harvested in BARMM, by Province: Q1 2020 – Q1 2021 (in Hectares)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Most of corn area harvested in BARMM is for yellow corn in Q1 2021

About 56.93 percent of the total corn area harvested in BARMM in Q1 2021 was for yellow corn, while the remaining 43.07 percent was for white corn (Figure 3). Area harvested for yellow corn increased by 27.30 percent; while yellow corn also decreased by 25.44 percent.

Figure 3. Corn Area Harvested in BARMM, by Farmtype: Q1 2021
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Area harvested for white corn in all provinces posted a positive growth rate between the first quarters of 2020 and 2021 (Figure 4).

Figure 4. Area Harvested for White Corn in BARMM, by Province: Q1 2020 – Q1 2021 (in Hectares)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Area harvested for yellow corn in Maguindanao decreased by 27.30 percent between the first quarters of 2020 and 2021.

Figure 5. Area Harvested for Yellow Corn in BARMM, by Province: Q1 2020 – Q1 2021 (in Hectares)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

TECHNICAL NOTES

Palay and Corn Production Survey

Palay Production Survey and Corn Production Survey (PPS and CPS) are some of the major agricultural surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). These generate estimates and forecasts on palay and corn production, area and yield and other productionrelated data that serve as inputs for policy making and programs on palay/rice.

Definition of Terms:

Palay Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is palay area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:

a. Household harvested palay during the reference quarter;
b. Household has standing palay crop in the farm;
c. Household intends to plant within the succeeding quarter; and
d. The land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production.
 

Non-Palay Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to palay production, i.e., zero palay production, no standing palay crop and planting intention.

Corn Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is corn area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:

a. Household harvested corn during the reference quarter;
b.Household has standing corn crop in the farm;
c. Household intends to plant within the succeeding quarter; and
d. The land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to corn production.
 

Non-Corn Household  household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to corn production, i.e., zero corn production, no standing corn crop and planting intention.

Technical Notes:

Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. For palay and corn, harvest area refers to the actual area harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Estimates and forecasts of production and harvest area of palay and corn are generated from the Quarterly Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year that is January, April, July and October. The following are the data taken from these surveys:

a. Production estimates of the previous quarter for each survey round;
b. Forecast one quarter ahead based on the standing crop; and
c. Forecast two quarters ahead based on planning intentions.

 

 

 

 

(Sgd) ENGR. NASER S. USMAN, MBA
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Officer-in-Charge
RSSO-ARMM