Q3 2020 Palay Area Harvested in BARMM

December 16, 2020Special Release Ref No.: SR-BARMM-20-087

Area harvested for palay in BARMM increases by 2.27 percent in Q3 2020

The total area harvested for palay in BARMM increased by 2.27 percent in the third quarter of 2020, from 69,013.00 hectares (ha) in Q3 2019 to 70,581.00 ha in Q3 2020. More than half or 65.33 percent of palay area harvested in the region during this period was in Maguindanao, while 33.74 percent was in Lanao del Sur (Figure 1). Less than one percent remaining area was in Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi.

Figure 1. Percent Distribution of Palay Area Harvested in BARMM, by Province: Q3 2020

Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Area harvested in all provinces, except for Sulu, posted a positive growth rate between the third quarters of 2019 and 2020 (Figure 2).

Figure 2. Palay Area Harvested in BARMM, by Province:Q3 2019 – Q3 2020 (in Hectares)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Most of palay area harvested in BARMM is for rainfed palay in Q3 2020

About 81.50 percent of the total palay area harvested in BARMM in Q3 2020 was for rainfed palay, while the remaining 18.50 percent was for irrigated palay (Figure 3). Area harvested for irrigated palay decreased by 0.49; while rainfed palay increased by 2.92 percent.

Figure 3. Palay Area Harvested in BARMM, by Ecosystem: Q3 2020 2020
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Area harvested for irrigated palay in all provinces, except for Sulu, increased during this period (Figure 4). There was no production recorded in Basilan in the previous year, while Tawi-Tawi has no production in both periods.

4. Area Harvested for Irrigated Palay in BARMM, by Province:Q3 2019 – Q3 2020 (in Hectares)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Area harvested for rainfed palay in all provinces, except for Sulu, increased during this period. Sulu recorded a decline of 61.31 percent, while there was no production in Basilan.

Figure 5. Area Harvested for Rainfed Palay in BARMM, by Province: Q3 2019; Q3 2020 (in Hectares)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

TECHNICAL NOTES

Palay and Corn Production Survey

Palay Production Survey and Corn Production Survey (PPS and CPS) are some of the major agricultural surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). These generate estimates and forecasts on palay and corn production, area and yield and other productionrelated data that serve as inputs for policy making and programs on palay/rice.

Definition of Terms:

Palay Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is palay area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:

a. Household harvested palay during the reference quarter;
b. Household has standing palay crop in the farm;
c. Household intends to plant within the succeeding quarter; and
d. The land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production.
 

Non-Palay Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to palay production, i.e., zero palay production, no standing palay crop and planting intention.

Corn Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is corn area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:

a. Household harvested corn during the reference quarter;
b.Household has standing corn crop in the farm;
c. Household intends to plant within the succeeding quarter; and
d. The land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to corn production.
 

Non-Corn Household  household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to corn production, i.e., zero corn production, no standing corn crop and planting intention.

Technical Notes:

Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. For palay and corn, harvest area refers to the actual area harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Estimates and forecasts of production and harvest area of palay and corn are generated from the Quarterly Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year that is January, April, July and October. The following are the data taken from these surveys:

a. Production estimates of the previous quarter for each survey round;
b. Forecast one quarter ahead based on the standing crop; and
c. Forecast two quarters ahead based on planning intentions.

 

(Sgd) ENGR. NASER S. USMAN, MBA
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Officer-in-Charge
RSSO-ARMM