Q3 2020 Palay Production in BARMM
Palay production in BARMM increases by 3.48 percent in Q3 2020
The total palay production in BARMM increased by 3.48 percent in the third quarter of 2020, that is from 239,723.36 metric tons (MT) in Q3 2019 to 248,065.33 MT in Q3 2020. More than half or 70.81 percent of palay in the region during this period was produced in Maguindanao, while 28.72 percent was produced in Lanao del Sur (Figure 1). The remaining less than one percent was produced by Sulu, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi.
Palay production in all provinces, except for Sulu, increased during this period. Production in the said province reported a decline of 66.74 percent (Figure 2).
Most of the palay produced in BARMM in Q3 2020 is Rainfed Palay
About 74.74 percent of the total palay production in BARMM in Q3 2020 was rainfed palay, while the remaining 25.26 percent was irrigated palay (Figure 3). Production of irrigated palay increased by 3.74 percent; while rainfed palay also increased by 3.39 percent between Q3 2019 and Q3 2020.
More than half or 69.85 percent of irrigated palay in BARMM was produced in Maguidnanao, while Lanao del Sur contributed 30.01 percent (Figure 4). Production in all producing provinces, except Sulu, increased during this period. On the other hand, there was no production in Basilan in Q3 2019, while Tawi-Tawi recorded no production in both periods (Figure 5).
Maguindanao produced 71.13 percent of the total rainfed palay in the region. This was followed by Lanao del Sur with 28.28 percent, Sulu with 0.43 percent and Tawi-Tawi with 0.16 percent. On the other hand, there was no production recorded in Basilan during this period.
Palay and Corn Production Survey
Palay Production Survey and Corn Production Survey (PPS and CPS) are some of the major agricultural surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). These generate estimates and forecasts on palay and corn production, area and yield and other productionrelated data that serve as inputs for policy making and programs on palay/rice.
Definition of Terms:
Palay Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is palay area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Palay Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to palay production, i.e., zero palay production, no standing palay crop and planting intention.
Corn Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is corn area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Corn Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to corn production, i.e., zero corn production, no standing corn crop and planting intention.
Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. For palay and corn, harvest area refers to the actual area harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Estimates and forecasts of production and harvest area of palay and corn are generated from the Quarterly Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year that is January, April, July and October. The following are the data taken from these surveys: