Q1 2020 Corn Production in BARMM
Corn production in BARMM decreased by 11.44 percent in Q1 2020
The total corn production in BARMM decreased by 11.44 percent in the first quarter of 2020, that is from 370,569.99 metric tons (MT) in Q1 2019 to 328,161.74 MT in Q1 2020. More than half or 62.38 percent of corn in the region during this period was produced in Maguindanao, while 37.47 percent was produced in Lanao del Sur (Figure 1). The remaining less than one percent was produced by Sulu, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi.
Corn production in Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi increased by 80.00 percent, 21.32 percent and 0.48 percent, respectively. On the other hand, production in Maguindanao and Lanao del Sur decreased by corresponding rates of 1.74 percent and 16.45 percent in the first quarter of 2020 (Figure 2).
Most of the corn produced in BARMM in Q1 2020 was Yellow Corn
About 72.07 percent of the total corn production in BARMM in Q1 2020 was yellow corn, while the remaining 27.93 percent was white corn (Figure 3). Production of white corn decreased by 0.90 percent; while yellow corn also decreased by 14.95 percent.
More than half or 59.55 percent of white corn production in BARMM was produced in Lanao del Sur, while Maguindanao contributed 39.94 percent (Figure 4). Production in all producing provinces, except Maguindanao. increased at corresponding rates of 80.00 percent in Basilan, 13.00 percent in Lanao del Sur, 21.32 percent in Sulu and 0.48 percent in Tawi-Tawi. On the other hand, production in Maguindanao decreased by 16.39 percent (Figure 5).
Only Maguindanao and Lanao del Sur had production of yellow corn in Q1 2020, producing 71.08 percent and 28.92 percent, respectively, of the total regional production. Cotabato also recorded 68,970.00 MT yellow corn production during this period, but it is not yet included in the total estimate of BARMM. Production in Lanao del Sur decreased by 11.00 percent, while Maguindanao also recorded negative 16.46 percent growth rate in Q1 2020.
Palay and Corn Production Survey
Palay Production Survey and Corn Production Survey (PPS and CPS) are some of the major agricultural surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). These generate estimates and forecasts on palay and corn production, area and yield and other productionrelated data that serve as inputs for policy making and programs on palay/rice.
Definition of Terms:
Palay Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is palay area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Palay Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to palay production, i.e., zero palay production, no standing palay crop and planting intention.
Corn Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is corn area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Corn Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to corn production, i.e., zero corn production, no standing corn crop and planting intention.
Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. For palay and corn, harvest area refers to the actual area harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Estimates and forecasts of production and harvest area of palay and corn are generated from the Quarterly Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year that is January, April, July and October. The following are the data taken from these surveys: