2019 Poultry and Egg Production in BARMM

February 24, 2020Special Release Ref No.: SR-BARMM-20-038

Poultry and egg production in BARMM increased by 2.35 percent in 2019

The total production of poultry and eggs in BARMM increased by 2.35 percent in 2019, that is from 10,034 metric tons (MT) in 2018 to 10,270 MT. This was brought by the increase in the production of all poultry and egg products.

Figure 1. Volume of Poultry and Egg Production in BARMM, by Poultry Product: 2018 – 2019 (in metric tons)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Majority of BARMM’s poultry production in 2019 was composed of Chicken

The average production of poultry in BARMM increased by 1.95 percent. This is composed of Duck and Chicken. About 86.48 percent of the total poultry production in BARMM in 2019 was contributed by Chicken, while the remaining 13.52 percent was composed of Duck.

Figure 2. Percent Distribution of Poultry Production in BARMM, by Poultry Product: 2019
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Egg production in BARMM increased by 2.92 percent in 2019

Egg production in BARMM increased by 2.92 percent in 2019. This also includes Chicken Eggs and Duck Eggs. There were more Chicken Eggs produced in BARMM than Duck Eggs during this period with corresponding percentage shares of 78.63 percent and 21.37 percent.

Figure 3. Percent Distribution of Egg Production in BARMM, by Poultry Product: 2019
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

TECHNICAL NOTES

This statistical report covers four (4) poultry (chicken, chicken egg, duck and duck egg) commodities.

The data on these commodities include: volume of production (in metric tons) and inventory of animals (in bird).

The data on inventory and volume of production are taken from the regular surveys conducted by PSA. The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS). It consists of 15,032 sample households in 1,079 sample barangays nationwide for Chicken and Duck.

Concepts and Definitions

Backyard Farm – any farm or household, whether farming or non-farming, tending at least one head of animal and does not qualify as a commercial farm.

Inventory – the actual number of domesticated animals present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Beginning inventory is the number of live animals present in the farm at the beginning of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the beginning inventory is as of January 1, 2016; for January to March the beginning inventory is as of January 1.

Ending inventory is the number of live animals/remaining stocks present in the farm at the end of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the ending inventory is as of October 1, 2016; for January to March, the remaining inventory is as of October 1.

Volume of Production – the quantity of locally-raised animals disposed for slaughter which includes animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in number of heads, or in metric ton, liveweight equivalent

 

(Sgd) HJI. RAZULDEN A. MANGELEN, MPA, MDM
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Officer-in-Charge
RSSO-ARMM