Q4 2019 Poultry and Egg Production and Inventory in BARMM
Poultry and egg production in BARMM increased by 13.47 percent in Q4 2019
The total production of poultry and eggs in BARMM increased by 13.47 percent in the fourth quarter of 2019, that is from 2,911 metric tons (MT) in the fourth quarter of 2018 to 3,303 MT. This was brought by the increase in the production of all poultry and egg products.
Majority of BARMM’s poultry production in Q4 2019 was composed of Chicken
The average production of poultry in BARMM increased by 10.40 percent. This is composed of Duck and Chicken. About 83.90 percent of the total poultry production in BARMM in the fourth quarter of 2019 was contributed by Chicken, while the remaining 16.10 percent was composed of Duck.
Egg production in BARMM increased by 19.10 percent in Q4 2019
Egg production in BARMM increased by 19.10 percent in the fourth quarter of 2019. This also includes Chicken Eggs and Duck Eggs. There were more Chicken Eggs produced in BARMM than Duck Eggs during this period with corresponding percentage shares of 85.27 percent and 14.73 percent.
Chicken inventory in BARMM increased by 12.60 percent as of 01 October 2019
Chicken inventory, specifically for Native/Improved, increased by 12.60 percent, that is from 1,703,202 birds as of 01 October 2018 to 1,917,797 birds as of the same period in 2019. Inventory in all provinces of BARMM also increased. There is no Broiler and Layer Chicken recorded in BARMM during this period
About 38.19 percent of the total Chicken inventory in BARMM during this period was in Lanao del Sur; while the 24.09 percent was in Sulu. The remaining 23.07 percent, 7.79 percent and 6.86 percent were in Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Maguindanao, respectively.
More than half of the Duck inventory in BARMM was in Maguindanao
Duck inventory increased by 35.92 percent, from 101,663 birds as of 01 July 2018 to 138,180 birds in the same period of 2019. Inventory in all provinces of BARMM also increased. Basilan, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi posted positive growth rates of 13.73 percent, 24.14 percent, 54.02 percent, 15.57 percent, and 18.98 percent, respectively.
More than half or 56.22 percent of the total Duck inventory in the region was in Maguindanao. This was followed by Sulu, Lanao del Sur, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi with corresponding percentage shares of 13.97 percent, 13.03 percent, 9.89 percent and 6.90 percent.
This statistical report covers four (4) poultry (chicken, chicken egg, duck and duck egg) commodities.
The data on these commodities include: volume of production (in metric tons) and inventory of animals (in bird).
The data on inventory and volume of production are taken from the regular surveys conducted by PSA. The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS). It consists of 15,032 sample households in 1,079 sample barangays nationwide for Chicken and Duck.
Concepts and Definitions
Backyard Farm – any farm or household, whether farming or non-farming, tending at least one head of animal and does not qualify as a commercial farm.
Inventory – the actual number of domesticated animals present in the farm as of a specific reference date.
Beginning inventory is the number of live animals present in the farm at the beginning of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the beginning inventory is as of January 1, 2016; for January to March the beginning inventory is as of January 1.
Ending inventory is the number of live animals/remaining stocks present in the farm at the end of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the ending inventory is as of October 1, 2016; for January to March, the remaining inventory is as of October 1.
Volume of Production – the quantity of locally-raised animals disposed for slaughter which includes animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in number of heads, or in metric ton, liveweight equivalent.