Q2 2019 Poultry and Egg Production and Inventory in ARMM
Poultry and egg production in ARMM decreased by 5.53 percent in Q2 2019
The total production of poultry and eggs in ARMM decreased by 5.53 percent in the second quarter of 2019, that is from 2,116.00 metric tons (MT) in the second quarter of 2018 to 1,999.00 MT. Production of all poultry products, except Chicken, also decreased. This includes Duck, Chicken Eggs, and Duck Eggs with corresponding negative growth rates of 23.13 percent, 15.04 percent and 6.28 percent. On the other hand, production of Chicken increased by 6.03 percent.
Majority of ARMM’s poultry production in Q2 2019 was composed of Chicken
The average production of poultry in ARMM increased by 1.98 percent. This is composed of Duck and Chicken. About 89.54 percent of the total poultry production in ARMM in the second quarter of 2019 was contributed by Chicken, while the remaining 10.46 percent was composed of Duck.
Egg production in ARMM decreased by 13.06 percent in Q2 2019
Egg production in ARMM decreased by 13.06 percent in the second quarter of 2019. This also includes Chicken Eggs and Duck Eggs. There were more Chicken Eggs produced in ARMM than Duck Eggs during this period with corresponding percentage shares of 75.63 percent and 24.37 percent.
Chicken inventory in ARMM increased by 10.71 percent as of April 2019
Chicken inventory, specifically for Native/Improved, increased by 10.71 percent, that is from 1,687,675 birds as of 01 April 2018 to 1,868,456 birds as of the same period of 2019. Inventory in Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao increased by 24.37 percent and 44.27 percent, respectively. There is no Broiler and Layer Chicken recorded in ARMM during this period.
About 42.64 percent of the total Chicken inventory in ARMM during this period was in Lanao del Sur; while the 24.73 percent was in Sulu. The remaining 18.91 percent, 7.16 percent and 6.56 percent were in Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Maguindanao, respectively.
More than half of the Duck inventory in ARMM was in Maguindanao
Duck inventory increased by 35.92 percent, from 101,663 birds as of 01 July 2018 to 138,180 birds in the same period of 2019. Inventory in all provinces of ARMM also increased. Basilan, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi posted positive growth rates of 13.73 percent, 24.14 percent, 54.02 percent, 15.57 percent, and 18.98 percent, respectively.
More than half or 56.22 percent of the total Duck inventory in the region was in Maguindanao. This was followed by Sulu, Lanao del Sur, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi with corresponding percentage shares of 13.97 percent, 13.03 percent, 9.89 percent and 6.90 percent.
This statistical report covers four (4) poultry (chicken, chicken egg, duck and duck egg) commodities.
The data on these commodities include: volume of production (in metric tons) and inventory of animals (in bird).
The data on inventory and volume of production are taken from the regular surveys conducted by PSA. The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS). It consists of 15,032 sample households in 1,079 sample barangays nationwide for Chicken and Duck.
Concept/s and Definition/s:
Backyard Farm – any farm or household, whether farming or non-farming, tending at least one head of animal and does not qualify as a commercial farm.
Inventory – the actual number of domesticated animals present in the farm as of a specific reference date.
- Beginning inventory is the number of live animals present in the farm at the beginning of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the beginning inventory is as of January 1, 2016; for January to March the beginning inventory is as of January 1.
- Ending inventory is the number of live animals/remaining stocks present in the farm at the end of the reference period, i.e. for January to June 2016, the ending inventory is as of July 1, 2016; for January to March, the remaining inventory is as of April 1.
Volume of Production – the quantity of locally-raised animals disposed for slaughter which includes animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in number of heads, or in metric ton, liveweight equivalent.