Q1 2019 Poultry and Egg Production and Inventory in ARMM
Poultry and egg production in ARMM increased by 2.13 percent in Q1 2019
The total production of poultry and eggs in ARMM increased by 2.13 percent in the first quarter of 2019, that is from 2,584 metric tons (MT) to 2,639 MT in the first quarter of the previous year. Production of all poultry products, except Duck, also increased. This includes Chicken, Chicken Eggs, and Duck Eggs with corresponding growth rates of 2.97 percent, 2.93 percent and 2.87 percent. On the other hand, production of Duck decreased by 5.74 percent.
Majority of ARMM’s poultry production in Q1 2019 was composed of chicken
The average production of Poultry in ARMM increased by 1.71 percent. This is composed of Duck and Chicken. About 86.64 percent of the total poultry production in ARMM in the first quarter of 2019 was contributed by Chicken, while the remaining 13.36 percent was composed of Duck.
Egg production in ARMM increased by 2.92 percent in Q1 2019
Egg production in ARMM increased by 2.92 percent in the first quarter of 2019. This also includes Chicken Eggs and Duck Eggs. There were more Chicken Eggs produced in ARMM than Duck Eggs in the first quarter of 2019 with corresponding percent distributions of 76.55 percent and 23.45 percent.
Chicken inventory in ARMM increased by 9.01 percent
Chicken inventory, specifically for Native/Improved, increased by 9.01 percent, from 1,728,191 birds in the first quarter of 2018 to 1,883,901 birds in the same period of 2019. Inventory in all provinces of ARMM, except Tawi-Tawi, also increased. Basilan, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao and Sulu posted positive growth rates of 10.17 percent, 12.45 percent, 28.68 percent and 2.65 percent, respectively. On the other hand, Tawi-Tawi decreased by 1.39 percent. There is no Broiler and Layer Chicken recorded in ARMM during this period.
About 43.00 percent of the total Chicken inventory in ARMM during this period was in Lanao del Sur; while the 25.21 percent was in Sulu. The remaining 18.49 percent, 7.67 percent and 5.63 percent were in Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Maguindanao, respectively.
More than half of the Duck inventory in ARMM was in Maguindanao
Duck inventory increased by 17.96 percent, from 102,942 birds in the first quarter of 2018 to 121,428 birds in the same period of 2019. Inventory in all provinces of ARMM also increased. Basilan, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi posted positive growth rates of 24.29 percent, 1.97 percent, 25.45 percent, 5.02 percent and 13.17 percent, respectively.
More than half or 55.19 percent of the total Duck inventory in the region was in Maguindanao. This was followed by Sulu, Basilan, Lanao del Sur and Tawi-Tawi with corresponding percentage shares of 14.66 percent, 11.87 percent, 11.53 percent and 6.75 percent.
This report presents the production performance of the poultry and egg industry of the region in terms of volume of production in 2018.
This describes the situation of poultry and egg industry in ARMM by providing comparative analyses of data on production between 2017 and 2018, among regions across Mindanao and among poultry products.
The data for this report were collected by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) through the two (2) major surveys, namely:
1. The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) which covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS). It consists of 15,069 sample households in 1,051 sample barangays nationwide; and,
2. The Commercial Livestock and Poultry Survey (CLPS) which covers 154 independent farms as of July 2017. A carabao farm is considered commercial when it has a capacity of at least 21 heads of adult carabaos.
Both surveys are conducted semi-annually (January and July) simultaneously in all provinces.
Another survey that supplements the statistical requirements of the livestock and poultry subsectors is the Survey of Slaughterhouses and Poultry Dressing Plants (SSHPDP). This covers around 1,387 Accredited (AAA and AA) and Locally Registered Meat Establishments (LRMEs) nationwide and is undertaken in coordination with the National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS).
Concept/s and Definition/s:
Volume of Production - the volume of locally-raised animals disposed for slaughter which include animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in thousand metric tons, liveweight.