Q1 2019 Corn Production in ARMM
Corn production in ARMM increased by 16.02 percent in Q1 2019
The total corn production in ARMM increased by 16.02 percent in the first quarter of 2019 to 370,569.99 metric tons (MT) from the 319,411.00 MT production in the same period in the previous year. More than half or 66.12 percent of corn in the region during this period was produced in Maguindanao, while 33.77 percent was produced in Lanao del Sur (Figure 1). The remaining less than one percent was produced by Sulu, Basilan and Tawi-Tawi. Corn production in Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi decreased by 10.71 percent, 19.05 percent and 2.33 percent, respectively. On the other hand, production in Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao increased by corresponding rates of 13.15 percent and 17.59 percent (Figure 2).
More than half of corn produced in ARMM was yellow corn
About 75.05 percent of the total corn production in ARMM in Q1 2019 was yellow corn, while the remaining 24.95 percent was white corn (Figure 3). Production of white corn decreased by 8.72 percent; while yellow corn increased by 27.50 percent.
More than half or 52.23 percent of white corn production in ARMM was produced in Lanao del Sur, while Maguindanao contributed 47.35 percent. Production in all provinces, except Lanao del Sur, decreased in Q1 2019 by 10.71 percent in Basilan, 21.54 percent in Maguindanao, 19.05 percent in Sulu and 2.33 percent in Tawi-Tawi. On the other hand, production in Lanao del Sur increased by 7.17 percent.
Only Maguindanao and Lanao del Sur had production of yellow corn in Q1 2019, producing 72.36 percent and 27.64 percent, respectively. Production in Lanao del Sur increased by 17.254 percent, while Maguindanao recorded 31.91 percent increase in Q1 2019.
Palay and Corn Production Survey
Palay Production Survey and Corn Production Survey (PPS and CPS) are some of the major agricultural surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). These generate estimates and forecasts on palay and corn production, area and yield and other production-related data that serve as inputs for policy making and programs on palay/rice.
Definition of Terms:
Palay Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is palay area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Palay Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to palay production, i.e., zero palay production, no standing palay crop and planting intention.
Corn Household – the sample household operates an agricultural land, whole or part of which is corn area within the nine-month period, or the land is temporarily in-fallow but the respondent declares that it is devoted to palay production. Specifically, any of the following conditions must be satisfied:
Non-Corn Household – household operates an agricultural land which is not intended for/devoted to corn production, i.e., zero corn production, no standing corn crop and planting intention.
Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. For palay and corn, harvest area refers to the actual area harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Estimates and forecasts of production and harvest area of palay and corn are generated from the Quarterly Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year that is January, April, July and October. The following are the data taken from these surveys: