2018 Poultry and Eggs Production in ARMM

May 15, 2019Special Release Ref No.: SR-ARMM-19-023

Poultry and egg production in ARMM increased by 2.1 percent in 2018  

The total production of poultry and eggs in ARMM increased by 2.1 percent in 2018, that is from 9,830 metric tons (MT) to 10,034 MT in the following year (Figure 1). ARMM recorded the lowest production in Mindanao contributing only 2.0 percent of the total estimate in the island (Figure 2).

Figure 1. Volume of Poultry and Egg Production in Mindanao, by Region: 2018 (in metric tons)
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

 

Figure 2. Percent Distribution of Poultry and Egg Production in Mindanao, by Region: 2018
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Majority of ARMM’s poultry production in 2018 was composed of chicken

About 86.5 percent of the total poultry production in ARMM in 2018 was contributed by chicken, while the remaining 13.5 percent was composed of duck (Figure 3). Production of both poultry products increased in 2018, 5.1 percent for chicken and 7.0 percent for duck (Figure 4). The total poultry production in the region increased 5.4 percent in 2018 as compared with the production in the previous year (Figure 5). ARMM recorded the least production of poultry in Mindanao in 2018 contributing only 1.6 percent of the total estimate in the island (Figure 6).

Figure 3. Percent Distribution of Poultry Production in ARMM, by Poultry Product: 2018
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

 

Figure 4. Volume of Poultry Production in ARMM, by Poultry Product:  2017 - 2018 (in metric tons) 
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

 

Figure 5. Volume of Poultry Production in Mindanao, by Region: 2018 (in metric tons)  
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

 

Figure 6. Percent Distribution of Poultry Production in Mindanao, by Region: 2018  
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

Egg production in ARMM decreased by 2.3 percent in 2018 

There were more chicken eggs produced in ARMM than duck eggs in 2018 with corresponding percent distributions of 78.6 percent and 21.4 percent (Figure 7). Total egg production in the region decreased by 2.3 percent during this period, the same trend was recorded in both poultry products which posted negative growth rates of 1.3 percent and 5.7 percent for chicken eggs and duck eggs, respectively (Figure 8 and Figure 9). ARMM also recorded the lowest production of eggs in Mindanao in 2018 comprising only 3.0 percent of the total production in the island (Figure 10).

Figure 7. Percent Distribution of Egg Production in ARMM,  by Poultry Product: 2018  
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

 

Figure 8. Volume of Egg Production in ARMM, by Poultry Product:  2017 - 2018 (in metric tons)  
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

 

Figure 9. Volume of Egg Production in Mindanao, by Region:  2018 (in metric tons)  
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

 

Figure 10. Volume of Egg Production in Mindanao, by Region:  2018 (in metric tons)   
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority

TECHNICAL NOTES 

This report presents the production performance of the poultry and egg industry of the region in terms of volume of production in 2018. 

This describes the situation of poultry and egg industry in ARMM by providing comparative analyses of data on production between 2017 and 2018, among regions across Mindanao and among poultry products. 

The data for this report were collected by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) through the two (2) major surveys, namely: 

  1. The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) which covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS). It consists of 15,069 sample households in 1,051 sample barangays nationwide; and, 
  2. The Commercial Livestock and Poultry Survey (CLPS) which covers 154 independent farms as of July 2017. A carabao farm is considered commercial when it has a capacity of at least 21 heads of adult carabaos. 

Both surveys are conducted semi-annually (January and July) simultaneously in all provinces. 

Another survey that supplements the statistical requirements of the livestock and poultry subsectors is the Survey of Slaughterhouses and Poultry Dressing Plants (SSHPDP). This covers around 1,387 Accredited (AAA and AA) and Locally Registered Meat Establishments (LRMEs) nationwide and is undertaken in coordination with the National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS). 

Concep/s and Definition/s 

Volume of Production - the volume of locally-raised animals disposed for slaughter which include animals shipped-out for slaughter. This is expressed in thousand metric tons, liveweight. 

 

(Sgd) HJI. RAZULDEN A. MANGELEN, MPA, MDM
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Officer-in-Charge
RSSO-ARMM