2018 Fisheries Production in ARMM
Fisheries production in ARMM increased by 5.0 percent in 2018
The total production of fisheries in ARMM increased by 5.0 percent in 2018, or to total of 899.374.3 metric tons (MT) from the 856,152.9 MT production in the previous year. Production in all provinces, except Lanao del Sur which decreased by 0.3 percent, posted positive growth rates during this period (Figure 1). Basilan posted the highest growth rate of 14.6 percent, followed by Tawi-Tawi, Maguindanao and Sulu with corresponding growth rates of 7.6 percent, 6.3 percent and 1.6 percent.
Most of the fisheries products in ARMM were produced in Tawi-Tawi and Sulu which contributed 44.1 percent and 36.2 percent to the total regional estimate in 2018, respectively (Figure 2). Maguindanao and Basilan produced the corresponding portions of 15.9 percent and 2.5 percent of the total regional production, while the remaining 1.4 percent was produced by Lanao del Sur.
Seaweed comprised 74.4 percent of the total fisheries production in ARMM
About 74.4 percent of the total fisheries production in ARMM in 2018 was comprised of seaweeds with a total production of 669,013.4 MT during the period. Figure 3 shows the top 10 species of fisheries in ARMM in terms of volume of production. In 2018, these species comprised 91.6 percent of the total regional estimate, while the remaining 8.4 percent was composed of approximately 41 species.
Production of eight out of the top 10 species increased in 2018 as compared with the estimates in the previous year. Tilapia and big-eyed scad (matangbaka) posted the highest growth rates of 24.5 percent and 11.8 percent, respectively. This was followed by roundscad (galunggong), eastern little tuna (bonita), Indian mackerel (alumahan), seaweed, frigate tuna (tulingan) and Indian sardines (tamban) with corresponding growth rates of 9.7 percent, 7.5 percent, 6.5 percent, 4.4 percent, 4.1 percent and 0.4 percent. On the other hand, production of yellowfin tuna (tambakol/bariles) and skipjack (gulyasan) decreased by 1.3 percent and 0.1 percent, respectively.
Half of the seaweed in ARMM was produced in Tawi-Tawi
Half or 51.5 percent of the total seaweed production in ARMM in 2018 was produced in Tawi-Tawi (Figure 4). Sulu, Maguindanao and Basilan contributed only 33.9 percent, 14.5 percent and 0.1 percent of this production; while there was no production of seaweed in Lanao del Sur.
As mentioned earlier, seaweed production increased by 4.4 percent. Production in all producing provinces, except Basilan, also increased during this period (Figure 5). Tawi-Tawi posted the highest growth rate of 7.0 percent, followed by Maguindanao and Sulu with corresponding growth rates of 3.2 percent and 1.3 percent. On the other hand, seaweed production in Basilan declined by 22.1 percent in 2018 as compared with the production in 2017.
- The Fisheries Production Survey of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) is divided into four (4) major fisheries surveys. These are the Quarterly Commercial Fisheries Survey (QCFS), Quarterly Municipal Fisheries Survey (QMFS), Quarterly Inland Fisheries Survey (QIFS) and Quarterly Aquaculture Survey (QAqS). The commercial and municipal fisheries surveys aim to provide quarterly data on volume and value of fish production by species, by region and by province. The aquaculture surveys are intended to generate quarterly data on volume and value of cultured species by environment, by type of aquafarm, by region and by province
- The survey on commercial fisheries production covered 57 provinces and cities. For municipal fisheries and aquaculture surveys 81 provinces and cities were covered.
- The sampling frames for the surveys of commercial and municipal fisheries were established in 2000 through a nationwide listing of landing centers (LCs). Updating of the lists was conducted over the years. The designed used was a two-stage stratified random sampling with the landing centers as the first-stage sampling units and fishing boats as the second stage sampling units. The landing centers were stratified based on volume of fish unloaded. The province was the domain of the survey. Inland municipal fisheries included fishing in inland waters such as lakes, rivers, dams, marshes, swamps, etc. Household engaged in inland fishing was the unit of enumeration. For aquaculture survey, the lists of brackish water fishponds, freshwater fishponds, freshwater fish pens/fish cages, marine fish pens/ fish cages, oyster/mussel and seaweed farms by province served as the sampling frames.
Concept/s and Definition:
Fisheries - all activities relating to the act or business of fishing, culturing, preserving, processing, marketing, developing, conserving and managing aquatic resources and the fishery areas including the privilege to fish or take aquatic resources thereof (RA 8550).