Women and Men in Maguindanao Province (Based on the Results of 2015 Census of Population)

July 12, 2018Special Release Ref No.: 2018-029

The results of the 2015 Census of Population (POPCEN 2015) showed that the total population of the the province of Maguindanao reached 1,173,933 persons, which were projected at 1,230,900 persons. From this population, more than half (50.7 percent) are men. By 2020, the region’s total population is projected to reach 1,391,100 persons, still with more men than women at that time. The population pyramid and the projected population of Maguindanao province is shown in Figures 1 and 2, respectively. Both population pyramids showed larger numbers or percentages of the population in the province of Maguidanao in the younger age groups.

Figure 1. Maguindanao Population Pyramid, 2015
Population = 1,173,933
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN
 
Figure 2. Maguindanao Projected Population Pyramid, 2020
Projected Population = 1,391,100
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

The household population of the province of Maguindanao reached 1,172,381 persons, of which, less than half (49.4 percent or 578,716 of 1,172,381) are women. This household population pyramid in Figure 3 is similar to that of the population pyramid shown in Figure 1, which indicates larger numbers or percentages of the household population in the province are of younger age groups.

Figure 3. Maguindanao Household Population Pyramid, 2015
Household Population = 1,172,381
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

Population of women at their middle age, 20 to 39 years old and 80 years old and over outnumbered men. However, the number of women is lower than men among those under 19 years old and among ages 40 to 79 years old. The youth population (15–24 years old) reached a total of 232,050 comprising 19.8 percent of the province’s household population. Of this number, 115,806 or 49.9 percent are women, which is slightly lower than its men counterpart which comprised 50.1 percent. Of the 657,407 working age population (15–64 years old), and 591,871 voting age population (18 years old and over), the results recorded more women than men. However, among the senior citizens, men outnumbered women.

Women outnumbered men in all types of the marital status in Maguindanao, except for single or never married persons and unknown marital status among the household population who are 10 years old and over.

Figure 4. Percent Distribution of Household Population by Marital Status and Sex: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

Of the total population in the province of Maguindanao, 83.0 percent were Muslims, of which 49.4 percent women and 50.6 percent men. This was followed by Roman Catholics (including Catholic Charismatic) at 8.1 percent, with women making up 49.4 percent. In general, women were less than men in all religious affiliation, except for those in Iglesia ni Cristo.

Household population aged 5 to 24 years old are considered in determining the school attendance rate. Based on the POPCEN 2015, there are 559,926 persons who are 5 to 24 years old in the province of Maguindanao and 64.6 percent, that is, 361,665 of them were attending school in school year 2015-2016. School attendance rate among women (65.1 percent) is higher than that of men (64.1 percent). Women posted higher school attendance rate in all age groups, except for those at 20-24 years old.

Figure 5. Percent Distribution of Population by Religious Affiliation and Sex: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN
 
Figure 6. School Attendance Rate of Household Population, by Sex and by Age Group: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

The literacy rate of Maguindanao is 89.3 percent among the 834,304 household population aged 10 years old and over. A person can be considered as literate if he/she is able to read and write a simple message in any language or dialect. Figure 7 shows that men posted higher literacy rate of 89.7 percent than women with 88.9 percent. Literacy rate is higher among women at younger population aged 10-34 years old, while men recorded higher rates at older population.

Figure 7. Literacy Rate of Household Population,by Sex and by Age Group: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

In 2015, it was recorded in the province of Maguindanao that there were more women than men who were academic degree holders, but there were also more women than men accounted with no grade completed. On the other hand, men dominated the population of those with preschool and elementary years as their highest grade completed.

Figure 8. Percent Distribution of Total Population by Highest Grade Completed and Sex: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

There are 26,133 overseas workers in Maguindanao, of which 79.7 percent are men and the remaining 20.3 percent are women. Among overseas workers with academic degree, 58.9 percent are women. There were also more women than men completed college undergraduate, elementary, highschool, post-secondary and pre-school as their highest educational attainment. On the other hand, there were more men than women who reached post baccalaureate and those with special education as their highest grade completed.

Figure 9. Percent Distribution of Overseas Workers by Highest Grade Completed and Sex: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

About 73.8 percent of the total gainful workers 15 years old and over in Maguindanao are men, while the remaining 26.2 percent are women. There are more men than women among armed forces, craft and related trades, machine operators and assemblers, and agriculture, forestry and fishery workers, as shown in Figure 10.

Figure 10. Percent Distribution of Gainful Workers by Major Occupation Group and Sex: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

About 93.3 percent of the household heads in Maguindanao are men. This is also true in all age groups. The percent distribution of female household heads is highest among 60-69 years old recorded at 17.6 percent.

Figure 11. Percent Distribution of Household Head by Age Group and Sex: Maguindanao, 2015
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, 2015 POPCEN

Technical notes:

Total population is the sum of the household population and institutional population. It also includes Filipinos in Philippine embassies, consulates, and missions abroad.

Household population comprises of persons who belong to a household, the basic criterion of which is the usual place of residence or the place where the person usually resides.

Marital status is the personal status of each individual with reference to the marriage laws or customs of the country.

Religious affiliation is a particular system of beliefs, attitudes, emotions, and behaviors constituting man’s relationship with the powers and principalities of the universe.

School attendance rate the proportion of persons 5 to 24 years old who were attending school during the School Year June 2015 to March 2016 to school-age population (5 to 24 years old)

Simple literacy rate the proportion of persons aged 10 years and over who are able to read and write a simple message in any language or dialect.

Grade/year completed the highest grade or year completed in school, college or university.

 

(Sgd) HJI. RAZULDEN A. MANGELEN, MPA, MDM
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Officer-in-Charge
RSSO-ARMM